Monday 16 June 2014

Be collaborative

As much as I would love to, I can't do everything by myself; I can start this project by my own, but then I would need some help from the community. That's the main reason why I will use a web-based hosting service for software development, GitHub, to share the code of my simulator and foster collaboration between developers. On top of that, hosting services like GitHub offer file backup and revision control, both very useful features in every software project.

GitHub, as the name suggests, is a hosting service that use the Git revision control system. The reason why I'm using a DVCS rather than a standard client/server version control (like SVN) is more an experiment. In the past, I've always used SourceForge and SVN as my hosting service. I'm now looking forward to testing a distributed model and take full advantage of local repos.

Finally, I adopted GitHub because of its integration level with other platforms and applications. I develop software applications using Eclipse (spoil!), a well-known IDE for Mac, Windows, Linux. Eclipse / GitHub integration is achieved quite well via EGit, but when I'm on my iPad (see this post - sorry, only Italian), what IDE can I use? I tried different iPad apps, but none of them were any good. I eventually bumped into Orion, a web IDE developed by the Eclipse guys. Orion allows cloning GitHub repos and develop applications through a web-browser. I'm still a bit sceptic about the practicality of this service, but I suppose I can give it a go.

Ah, almost forgot to mention. My repos are:


So far, I only uploaded all the files in GitHub. There is no readme, no branching strategy or any other cool stuff. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment