Friday 13 June 2014

Some (non-obvious) rules

Isn't blackjack the game that you win when you have a 21? Just make a function that randomly gives you a few numbers, and whoever gets to 21 wins. Project sorted!

Ah, if only it could be that easy. Before cracking on with design, I must have a better insight of what I'm going to design, which means I must increase my domain knowledge in the blackjack game. Lucky we live in the 21st century, Internet can give all the answers to my questions.

I'm most definitely not going to write a post on all the different blackjack rules. As my old professor used to say, this would be a "minestra riscaldata" - "same old story". Here is the list of websites I had a look before starting with the design:


As you can imagine, blackjack game has got tons of rules, variations and strategies. My simulator will be flexible enough to accommodate all these combinations. Whatever software I'm going to write, it won't require recompiling the whole application each time a blackjack rule is tested, a new variation is simulated or a new strategy is introduced.

No comments:

Post a Comment